Thursday, September 1, 2011

Letter to a younger me...

On the radio this morning, I heard them ask this question:
If you could go back and give advice to yourself 10 years ago,
what would you say?

My head went spinning back...
10 years ago I was starting the first semester of graduate school.
10 days from now 10 years ago, September 11th happened...

All day long this question has continued to bounce around.
If I could go back and talk to younger Beth...

I'd tell her that she is deeply and perfectly loved by a gracious and compassionate and patient and loving God
that even when she isn't speaking or listening to Him,
He is still calling out to her and her heart is still known by Him.
I'd tell her that she is deeply and imperfectly loved by family and friends
that relationships change and this will probably always be hard,
but that the love experienced within them is beautiful and timeless.

I'd tell her to be gentle both with herself and with others around her.
I'd be honest with her and tell her that pain lies ahead,
that it often can't be avoided or prevented.
I'd tell her to not walk through life trying to protect herself from getting hurt
but to step out and risk
to let go
dance

I'd challenge her to live and wrestle with the questions in her heart,
believing that in time truth will be revealed
to let her heart feel deeply and to experience her emotions more freely
I'd remind her of God's faithfulness in the past and I'd assure her that she will see it again and again
That I am still confident of this, she will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living

No comments:

Post a Comment