Friday, September 30, 2011

sacred spots


My roommate caught me snapping this photo in the parking lot one day before aerobics class.  The photo is crooked and the sight not seemingly significant, but she knew right away why I was capturing this particular spot...
Sometimes we get a glimpse of something sacred and it leaves a mark.
Then the spot takes on special meaning and becomes holy ground.

You see about a month ago, we held "convocation" welcoming the incoming freshmen class to Hope.  This is a ceremony where the students are symbolically brought into our midst while their parents sit on the outside.  Afterwards, the parting begins...

While piling our regalia into the trunk of my car and laughing at our silly hats, myself and my friends spied something that struck us all simultaneously...

You see under that tree, the very one in the photo above, there was a family huddled together embracing one another with their heads bowed.  I don't know what words were said and I don't know who they were - but what I encountered moved me...  My heart leapt as I witnessed this beautiful sight of a loving family bowed together before the Lord.  My mind raced as I remembered my own college beginning and journey.  My gut tugged as I realized the weight of responsibility and opportunity I had to be part of the next step for this student who was leaving his family and coming here to Hope in hopes of becoming who God had created and called him to be.

You see in this sacred moment, this place became sacred and I want to remember...

No comments:

Post a Comment